Saturday, December 9, 2006

A typical day in London

Well, it's been over a month since we moved here and we've been getting settled in and sorted out very slowly. We did find a fabulous flat and are scheduled to move in just in time for Christmas! Until then, we are in our temporary housing and most of our belongings are in storage. We're still learning the lay of the land, so to speak, and I'm remembering how incredibly spoiled we are in America to have everything so easily at our fingertips, practically as soon as we wish for it.

Here, on the other hand, things are not so easy and days can be filled with trying to accomplish a simple task. Although I hate to dispel any notions of glamorous afternoons filled with long-lunches, culture and social activities followed by pub & party-filled nights, I have to tell it like it is. For instance, yesterday I went to the drycleaners. They were going to charge $ 9 to clean a sweater that costed me $12 in Vietnam so I decided to hand wash it. I went to the local market to look for some Woolite or comparable hand-washing liquid. They didn't have any but referred me to Costcutter around the corner. They didn't have any either but some friendly customers sent me to another market down the street, around the corner from my house (meanwhile I've been going to the one 10-15 minutes away and didn't even know this one was here). They, of course, didn't have it so I went to the DIY shop ("do-it-yourself") down the road. All the while, I am pushing a stroller (or pram, as they say) down cobble-stone streets with one hand and trying to keep my Starbuck's ginger-bread latte from spilling in the other, while navigating the potholes and looking both ways while crossing the streets to keep us from getting hit from someone driving on the wrong side of the road (they drive on the left. remember?) - not an easy task. Needless to say, the DIY shop didn't have the soap but they did have a bucket, which I'd spent weeks earlier searching for.

Finally, I gave up and went back to the market to get some food. Trying to get through the crowded aisles with a stroller and a basket was just too much and when I saw the line, so I abandoned my basket and went home hungry, and without any soap-( Luckily, I found out that most grocery stores deliver -- a service I intend on fully utilizing once we get settled into our new place).

In the evening, Daniel had his INSEAD alumni Christmas party so we decided to hire a baby-sitter and go out for the first time here without Rome. It costed us $60 for three hours!! Yes, 10 pounds per hour is $20 US. And that's quite cheap since she was Eastern European. The party wasn't too far but the taxi to and from was $45 and it took about 20-25 minutes each way with traffic. All for two hours of socializing and 5 glasses of cheap champagne!! It was worth it, I guess, since I needed to get out.......and when we turned the corner from our house and saw the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and the beautiful architecture and scenery along the river embankment, I remembered why we are here. Yes, we will have our challenges and difficulties, but the beauty, the culture and history of this place all comes along with that.

I'm hoping things get easier once we get into our new place and learn where everything is -- and once we get our belongings from storage. Until then, I promised myself I should walk around the corner and see the sights daily. It was raining just a few moments ago, but I think it has stopped and I see blue skies peeking through the clouds. I must go now and take advantage of the weather and my surroundings -- and continue my search for some Woolite!!!

4 comments:

g gillis said...

You had the hand wash at home the whole time. It is baby shampoo. There's no place like home.
see ya soon, Love gretchen

L I S A said...

The blog is fantastic! Excellent writing. I'm looking forward to more updates. btw, we're tentatively reserving a visit to you guys in early fall. xoxoxo lisa

Urbo Go Go said...

hey devi - thank you for sharing your adventures!! happy birthday pepe!

Unknown said...

Hey guys, just getting around to checking this out. Great that you are doing this ... let's me know what you guys are doing from afar! Keep posting!

Love, Erik