Saturday, January 27, 2007

Yogi's in London

I finally got to yoga today! Sadly enough, with the holidays, the move and visitors, I've only been to 3 classes since I arrived in London. The first was at a center near our temporary housing and was only and hour-long class -- very weak. The best part was when I was leaving, I overheard someone saying "we only do this once a week. People in California work out everyday! Can you believe?" (If ony they could see most of you lazy bums!!)

The second class was at the extremely popular Tri-Yoga which everyone says is the best and where all the celebs go, ya-da, ya-da. The class was decent -- nothing great but at least a full our and a half. I thought it was odd that I was the only one who brought my own mat though. I bought a 5 class pass since they were having a December special ($22 per class rather than $28). When I returned in January with my cards they gave me, they apologized and said that they have a new system and none of my info was transfered so they had no proof that I bought a 5 class pass. They also said I had the wrong color card (i showed them what they gave me) and since the manager was away, they couldn't let me in, unless I paid for another class or showed my credit card receipt. I explained how I had to get a babysitter (ie.grandma) and take the bus across town to get there but they wouldn't budge. In all my years of doing yoga, I was appalled at the treatment to a student and have never been denied a class for any reason whatsoever. I'll be sure to get the other classes I paid for somehow and then never go back again...

Today I decided to check out a center near our new flat. They specialize in "shadow yoga". I've never heard of it but was open to trying new things so set out to take a beginner class and learn the 1st of the four part series. It was very different from any other yoga I've done. First off, no one had a mat again-- the entire floor was the mat. Then, we never did any of the asanas I've practiced but rubbed our hands together rapidly to create heat and then moved our hands around our bodies in a pattern that moved the energy around -- giving ourselves a "cosmic shower" as she called it. I didn't feel it was much of a workout but I feel much calmer now and was kind of dizzy all day so I guess it did something. (Pepe finds this funny)

There are several other centers in the area and I'm determined to try them all until I find one that fits. At $20+ per class though, I also plan to start a home yoga practice as the next step and some mommy & baby yoga with Rome as well. namaste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go!I think it's a great idea to start a home yoga.
I miss the friend who used to drag me to a class with her!