Sunday, January 28, 2007

Inside Harrod's Christmas Grotto

Those of you who know me won't be surprised to hear that two days into the move to our new house, the day before Christmas Eve (a Saturday no less), I decided that Rome HAD to have his picture taken with Santa at Harrod's in their Christmas Grotto. Knowing this was going to be hectic the Saturday before the biggest shopping holiday of the year, I headed out early to arrive when the store opened at 10 a.m. By the time I found my way up there (the store is so big they have maps available so you can find your way), it was ten after ten but they gave me a time slot for 12:30. I asked suspiciously "has it been that busy this morning?". He said it was and that was the first available time, although there wasn't a soul in sight. Realizing the damage I could do by then and also what a racket the whole thing was, I left and came back at my scheduled time.

At that point, they open up the doors to "the Grotto" where you then stand in line for 45 minutes to an hour before you see Santa. It was like Disneyland inside with carolers and animated creatures, videos and and decorations. Although it was very loud, Rome slept the entire time as we made our way through the snaked queue. Everyone around was dressed in their designer, Sunday best. Since I was actually in the midst of moving and unpacking, I hadn't really though about my appearance--until then. I was wearing old camouflage pants, a sweater and dirty puma trainers. I had on no makeup and my hair was so knotted I couldn't get a brush through it so I threw it up into a ponytail. (What was I doing at Harrod's looking like that anyway, right?)

As we reached the front of the second room, I asked how much longer and they replied "you're up now- go on!!" Rome was still in a deep sleep so I needed some time to wake him up. We let some others go ahead until I had Rome smiling and seemingly happy. He was fine until he saw Santa and started to cry. After a few moments, they got a quick shot and we were ushered out. I paid for the picture and by then Rome was really awake so I decided to get another shot. After explaining the situation, they let us back in without waiting again. As soon as Rome saw Santa, he started to wail. When I left him on Santa's lap, he screamed louder that I've ever heard. They tried to convince me to stay in the picture but since I looked appalling, I refused. Too late-- they took the picture and that was it!!

So, there went anther $20. All I needed was a bad photo of me sitting on a black leather booth with my boy crying and a skinny-looking Santa. With a little touching up I figure it can't be all that bad. Can anyone photoshop the photo to read "Harrod's Christmas GHETTO". Just change two letters and you're there...

1 comment:

Sheli Damask said...

Almost every parent has experienced the "joy" of waiting in line for that picture with Santa, only to finally have your turn arrive and disaster soon starts. Usually the child will take one look at Santa and start to scream, and that is every parent's wish to have that be their Kodak moment. Romy's picture with Santa is darling, as is he, so even if he were screaming, there could be no bad photo op.
The good news, you were inside and not standing outside in the cold in an never-ending line and have that experience.
Looks like you had fun, even though your schedule is insane.
Love,
G-ma